Tuesday, November 5, 2013

All That I have

Father God today I am completely convicted of the selfish greed that is in my heart.  As I read in my devotions today about those who have had so little and yet still gave to others, as I read

2 Corinthians 8:1-5

New International Version (NIV)

The Collection for the Lord’s People

And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able,and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people. And they exceeded our expectations: They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us.

I am completely filled with the knowledge of how selfish I am.  
We have so much, we have food to eat (and are so blessed with the places that help to supply us with food when there just isn't enough money to buy all we need), we have a roof over our heads, a warm home on these cool days and we have electricity (and all the gadgets to hook into it).  We have clothes, we have toys, trinkets, pretty things.  You have blessed us over and over again. 
And yet I wandered through Walmart last night wondering how on earth I will be able to buy any Christmas presents last night, wondering where the money will come from to pay the bills so that I can buy something for my kids.  
What does that matter when there are so many who have so little???
God I need help.  I need to be able to put it in perspective.  I need to stop thinking  of what I don't have and be ever thankful for what I do. I need to look at what I have and offer it others.  I need to be generous of spirit.  There has to be ways to make this work.
God you know our financial situation.  You know how hard it's been lately and you know exactly what we need to get through this....and you provide that.  But we don't see that. We see the bills that aren't paid, we see the things we need to buy for the kids or for us, we see the things we wish we had and we just keep worrying about money.  Perhaps if we stopped thinking like that and started looking for ways to help others with what we have, the answers to the problems in our own life would be right in front of our faces, the money we think we need would either no longer be an issue or it would be there in some form or another.
I thank you God for putting Ali Matthews, her ministry and her wish to serve you in our path this weekend.  We have talked long enough about sponsoring a World Vision child...and now we are.  Perhaps this is one step in the right direction.  God help to show us where more steps can be found.  Maybe the secret isn't the money we have to give to those without but the time we do have to help those, to help projects that help those, the talents we have to help.  
God I am so filled with hope right now.  I know that this is you working in me. You are, once again, showing me that I am not hopeless, I am able to help and I am able to provide for those who have less then me.  Help me to stay focused on this Lord.  Help me never to lose focus on the ways I can serve you.
And once again Father God I thank you for placing this new book in my hands and showing me the ways I need to change so that my body can serve you.  I have focused so much on the selfish reasons to lose weight but the fact is that I only have a body because You gave it and I only have one body so I need to honour it, treat it as the temple that it is, treat it in the image it was created...You.  I need to stay focused on being healthier to serve you...for no other reason.  The healthier I am the more I can do for you...the more energy I will have, the more ideas I will come up with, the more focused on you and not on me I will be.... and the longer I will live to be able to do this.
Please help me to learn, to absorb, to appreciate all this book will share with me and then help me to spread this word to others.  There are so many who need to hear the words that you are sharing with me through this book
Thanks God...for everything you give me.  I am so very blessed and I want to bless others, I want to give in your name.  I want to be generous and honouring to you. 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment