Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Second Principle of the Journey: Be Expressive


Express your tears and your pain. In order to move on, you cannot push down and pocket your emotions; they must be fully communicated for you to heal.

"Everyone cries," says Dr. H. Norman Wright. "Everyone sheds tears. Some people do it on the outside, but some are only capable of doing it on the inside. From a health perspective, the shedding of tears is very beneficial to physical well-being. 
Well this is reassuring to me... I know I have shed more tears in my life then I thought possible and I have certainly shed more tears in the last 4 years, 2 months and 11 days then I ever knew a person could.  I have always been someone who could cry but had never really given it much thought as to how healing it could be.
"The people who are unable or haven't developed the capacity to cry are carrying a heavier load of emotion that can actually contribute to some physical difficulties. I don't think you should ever apologize for your tears because you never apologize for something that is a gift from God." 
It is amazing how hard it is NOT to apologize for tears. I do it all the time.  Ironically though I NEVER do it when I am moved to tears by something God has put on my heart...most often by worship music or sermons that move me.  God has given me those tears for an even more valuable reason I think.... to know that he is sending me a message from him, that he is walking very closely with me at that moment.
Pull out your emotions. Face the pain head-on. Mourn loudly. Weep bitterly. Be set free.

When Peter realized he had disowned Jesus three times, he "went outside and wept bitterly" (Luke 22:62). When Stephen, the first Christian martyr, died, devout men "made loud lamentation over him" (Acts 8:2 NASB). 

2 Samuel 18:33 The king was shaken. He went up to the room over the gateway and wept. As he went, he said: “O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you – O Absalom, my son, my son!”

Lamentations 3:48-49 Streams of tears flow from my eyes because my people are destroyed. My eyes will flow unceasingly, without relief

Holy God,Sometimes we become so adept at pushing down our emotions that we don't know how to pull them up.  We know that must, that in order to move ahead we need to release those emotions that are caged up inside of us. We need to be confident in those emotions, comfortable in the gifts from you that they are and stop hiding them from others. Give us the opportunity and the courage to let our emotions pour out freely. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment