Sunday, January 13, 2013

Random Emotions
Day 7

"My emotions occurred spontaneously, and sometimes two or three at the same time," says Cindy, whose daughter passed away.

Although there are stages that are common to the process of grief, they do not occur in a predictable order. Your emotions will be random, sometimes overwhelming, and completely unique.

"Whatever your emotions lead you to feel, it's okay to feel how you're feeling," says Randy, whose sister died. "I think there are several emotions people are going to go through that are beyond their control." 

Although you may feel overwhelmed and out of control, you can still have the deep inner peace that comes from God alone. Some people clearly sense the peace of God during times of adversity, but others wonder why they cannot feel it. Be assured that His peace is always available to you. Peace comes through a sincere belief in God's presence and in His promises; it is not dependent on our feelings or sensations. Believe in His promises and rest in His peace today.

"Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you" (2 Thessalonians 3:16).

I think this may have been an area that I struggled with most when I came to Christ.... why was it so easy for some people to just have faith and why I didn't 'sense' peace or 'feel' like Jesus was helping me find peace...or anything.  I didn't get that it wasn't what I felt that brought peace to my life but rather it was the knowledge that I had peace because Christ was giving it... that he promised to be there, to hold and comfort, to be that peace.  Whether I sensed or felt it, the peace he had for me was there.  

John 14:27


27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Psalm 34:18

18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted;    he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.


Isaiah 66:13-14


13 I will comfort you there in Jerusalem
    as a mother comforts her child.”
14 When you see these things, your heart will rejoice.
    You will flourish like the grass!
Everyone will see the Lord’s hand of blessing on his servants—
    and his anger against his enemies.


Lord of peace, when my emotions surprise and confuse me, may I rest in the peace of Your constant presence. 
You know quickly my sense of peace turns to a sense of dread and confusion.  You know me better then I know myself and you understand when I am feeling dread. Please help me to remember that peace is always there, always in you.  
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment